Monday 25 January 2010

Peek at Quilting Detail


The reason for the lack of posts all last week is that I've been working on quilting this. I can't show it to you properly yet - I will when I can. The quilting took an age, and I was doing my best not to procrastinate and blog instead of quilting!

First, all the background quilting was really quite dense (stitching lines about 3/16in apart) and then I decided I really did need to quilt in-the-ditch to give the front more definition. The quilting is now done, and the binding almost finished.

The photo directly above and below were taken before I added the final swirls in the empty sections.

The whole thing is quilted using Bottom Line threads, mostly white a but a few small patches in lime green. I'd say there's well over a kilometre of quilting thread in this piece, and it's only around 50in square!

I enjoyed quilting these ferns - not least because they were different from the drunk pointy paisley I was very tired of! I do like the effect of the quliting, and it worked well on this quilt because of all the triangular shapes - but at the same time I had to work hard to make sure the paisleys didn't follow the pieced background triangles too closely.

7 comments:

MandMStudio said...

Lovely:)

Jonathan said...

Wow, that's beautiful!!

LittleWhiteDove said...

Gorgeous! You are so clever!

Anonymous said...

Wow - your quilting is just endlessly amazing. I can't wait to see the finished piece :-)

Gina said...

Fabulous. I love your ferns

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Lily Mulholland said...

Love the snowflakes on your blog Emma - goes with the previous post nicely :)

Look at how your quilting is coming along! You are close to being a master whose work will be sought after far and wide - are you ready for the fame?!!!

kanishk said...

that's beautiful!!

Work from home India