Tuesday 31 August 2010

Quilted ribbons

Over the weekend, I got another set of instructions ready and posted, and got stuck into my DQS9 quilt. I stitched down the appliqued ribbons using matching high-sheen threads (Mettler poly sheen, it's beautiful). I use a buttonhole stitch on my machine.
Then I quilted around the appliques using the same threads - but matching Bottom Line in the bobbin. When sandwiching, I added an extra layer of plain dark homespun under the quilt top, to minimise the risk of any bearding. I've not had troubles before, but figured it couldn't hurt - though I'm not sure if I'd bother again.
After I'd done that and stabilised around the edges, I drew in 2 more ribbons and quilted them, using the same threads again. I quilted the ribbon outlines, and decided they needed a bit more, so quilted a wavy pattern along them.
Then it was just a case of Emming (McTavishing) the background. For this I used the charcoal Bottom Line thread, which blends well into the background.
Without natural light, it's hard to photograph the quilt and show both the natural colours and the quilting texture, but I tried!
Tonight I hand-sewed the binding to the back, and all that's left to do is add the label, but I want to photograph it front and back first.
Next on my long list is a quilting job - once I fix one of the blocks. I'm hoping to get that done tomorrow evening. Well, in all honesty, I'd hoped to get it fixed and sandwiched, and dtart the quilting tonight - but I got my nose stuck in a book!

2 comments:

Rebecca Merry said...

Very pretty! I love all of the detail work!

MY SPACE said...

Emma, it is wonderful! Thanks for fixing that block ;) Hope you enjoyed the book - what you reading? Can't wait to see Mason's quilt x