Sunday 16 May 2010

Nullarbor Stars - finished photos

I finished and photographed this quilt a while ago, but somehow never actually blogged it properly. It's so big that we don't have a plain section of wall big enough for it. The best spot was over the kitchen window...
...and even that wasn't entirely flat. In addition to the window itself, there are a few pipes which stick out, and I couldn't stick the quilt totally flat. It's also further under the eaves than my preferred spot, so the top is a bit shadowed - and by the time it was all hung, I had direct sunlight on it in places as well.
Ages ago I got a tip from Valori Wells, who uses carpet tape to hold her quilts for photography. I've been using regular double-sided tape for ages, but even on a single bed quilt, I have to use masses of the stuff - and even then it won't hold long enough for my liking. I knew I'd really only be able to stick this one at the top, so finally hunted down the carpet tape - it was readily available at the local hardware store. I used two full-length strips across the top, and that was plenty. In fact, I re-used the same tape twice for other quilts the next day! But a word of caution, although it did no damage to either the quilt or my rendered wall, keep it off printed labels, and test a little on your walls first.
I haven't heard yet from my sister-in-law, as shortly after it arrived she ended up hospitalised and about a week later had her baby girl (whose quilt I am yet to start!).

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I just LOVE this quilt!!

*Cornelia* said...

this quilt is really amazing, I love it, great work

Hugs

Unknown said...

It's beautiful. I love the photo from the other side of the window.

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore this quilt! It seems like alot of work and your SIL is so very lucky to receive it!

What Comes Next? said...

it is gorgeous! I love it! (and I also love the stained galss effect when a quilt is back lit!)

Joan said...

That is one beautiful quilt Emma - I love it. I had my DH put 2 hooks on our outside wall ...big enough for a Queen sized quilt...and I now need to put a hanging sleeve on if I want to take a photo of a big quilt - I like what you have suggested...may try it...thank you :)

Lily Mulholland said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous work Emma - have you heard from your sister-in-law yet?

AmyMay said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

Cathy said...

Hi,
Your vision for quilt designs are amazing. Your Nullabor Quilt is the most beautiful and original quilt I have seen. My daughter is in the military and asked for a quilt to take with her when she is deployed. Have you made a pattern for this quilt? Would you be ok if I made a somewhat similar one for her? Do you have any hints on how to do this?
Thanks in advance,
Cathy
zetti1@charter.net