Wednesday 6 July 2011

Whispers

This is Whispers, a play quilt I've made for my new cousin. I took it outside for some photos last week, and now it just needs a label, then I can send it off to England.


I chose again to use colouring to create a medallion-style effect from a standard block layout.


Can you pick what blocks I used?


It takes a while looking at it to spot the layout, which I like.


Quilts should encourage you to look deeper. One of the first things I do when looking at pieced quilts is to try and work out the blocks and how it was pieced; partly it's curiosity, partly I like the challenge!


One of my favourite parts is these modified log-cabin quarters I used as the setting triangles:


The fabrics, apart from the cream background, are from Michele D'Amore's 'Habitat' line for Benartex.


It was a lovely day, though since I took these photos it's been cold and wet again (this is good news; the weather patterns move from here across to the alpine areas and Falls Creek had over 20cm of snow today and is expecting up to 50cm tomorrow and more throughout the week - just what we want in the lead up to skiing!).


I mentioned when I was quilting this that on Simon's recommendation i used a gumleaf motif to reflect the ciolours fo the quilt, so I took a few photos with eucalyptus and the pale blue sky of a really hot (or somewhat cool in this case!) day:


Simon was right; the colours are spot-on!

8 comments:

~Laurie~ said...

Beautiful!! You have quite the eye for color!! Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Lynette said...

This is wonderful, Emma!

Sue Daurio said...

Wow!! that is amazing. Love the design, the colors and the quilting. Everything about it is spectacular.

Pip said...

Beautiful, I find myself increasingly drawn to quilts like this, where colour and block layout are used to make the pattern.

Лютция said...

Beautiful!!!!! :о)

Vicki W said...

It's lovely! Fabulous color palette.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sooooo amazing!!!!
Everything is spectacular.
Elisabeth, your fan from Switzerland

Debra Dixon said...

Interesting color choices!