Monday 11 May 2009

Breaking Surf

This quilt is for a friend's new baby boy, but it has a long journey ahead. We met 20 years ago, while we both lived in the Philippines. Since then we've kept in contact first through letters, one phonecall, and now email and over the internet.
I really like this quilt. I chose a block and played with the colouring until I had something a bit different. I think this is the first time I've used just 2 fabrics in the piecing - plus darker blue for the binding. I'll definitely be using this block again in other quilts.
I've been doodling feather s a lot recently, and got up the confidence to try some on a quilt. I wanted blue 'feature' qulting in 5 of the diamonds for design effect, do I practised 2 feathers in diamonds on a scrap sandwich and went for it. I probably shouldn't have rushed in quite so fast! They're not the neatest! But they do give the effect I wanted.
On the other hand, I'm thrilled with the white-on-white featherd quilting in the background - and of course any mistakes are far less visible. They were also easier - though they meant a LOT of ends to tie in.
You can probably estimate my delight with the quilting from the number of photos of it!
Yes, more...
It took a while to decide how to quilt the border. It needed a similar density quilting to the feathers, but I thought a stipple would be out of place, and wasn't game to try feathering it. Then I came up with this easy option!
Here it is laid on the (overgrown and in need of mowing) lawn in the sun. Ahhh.

White feathers from the back:
And one of the blue feathers from the back - where mistakes are less evident!
Another quilt I'd like to keep!
Right now there are 10 quilts in my study apart from this one: three swaps ( 1 2 3 ) hanging on the wall, one ready to hang in our bedroom, a bed quilt folded, a large play quilt on the back of my chair, this awaiting 'payment', an unseen commission boxed and ready to send (I will reveal soon), one ready to deliver to a friend's baby and my weekend project which you'll see shortly.

7 comments:

Little Munchkins said...

That is amazing! I love the feathered quilting too.

When I grow up, I want to be able to do quilts just like you. Actually, even a bit like you would be great!

Lily Mulholland said...

Emma I agree this quilt is totally beautiful. I love the simplicity of the fabrics contrasted with the very fancy quilting. Well done!

Beena said...

This turned out beautifully! I love the way you quilted it!

Anne said...

That is really beautiful! I'm glad you showed lots of pictures of the quilting! Especially, to see how you did the border!

Mom said...

Totally awesome!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the block pattern for this blue and white quilt. there is enough interest in the pattern that just 2 fabrics works.

Lee-Tal said...

Emma my dearest! I just now see this post. 20 years! It is hard to believe. Yonatan loves his quilt, and I love it even more! But now that I read all the work you've done on it, I think I need to frame it and hang it on the wall. It is a masterpiece!