Sunday 31 July 2011

Elephant Feathers

Here is the finished Elephant quilt for my sister.


It's to replace her old quilt; the first I finished (in about 1993) - a blue and green version of this one below (large single bed quilt sideways on our king bed), which I made for myself straight after hers was done. Hers is showing even more signs of love and wear than mine, after 18 years of good use!


The feature fabric is form Valori Wells' Bliss flannels (And in a recent peek Valori shared, her next range has more elephants in it!).


I mixed in a selection of tone-on-tones, including a lovely snowflake, and a wonderfully rich deep blue floral.



I'm really pleased with the effect of the central octagon - adjusting the 'corner' octagon blocks to more evenly balance the length of all 8 sides was really effective.


It's quilted in my current favourite pettern - the meandering open feather. It's left it nice and snuggly, which is exactly what this quilt is for!

I've printed out the label, along with five others (2 A4 sheets) and need to continue my label-attaching marathon (I sewed on 3 the other day!) to get this and a few other quilts out to their new owners.

5 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Very lovely. I am sure your sister will love it!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and I love your quilting design, neat feathers!

Lynette said...

Whoa - this is really cool. I love the broken geometrics, especially the octagon. :)

Anne D said...

The quilt is gorgeous. The pattern is great and I love how it looks.

VivJM said...

Great quilt - love that elephant fabric. Bet your sister will love it!