Tuesday 10 August 2010

Parterre in Homespun 87

I'm finally able to reveal a project I've been keeping secret since January!


I was asked to design a quilt for Homespun's Garden Issue, featuring my all-time favourite range of fabric; Sandi Henderson's Farmer's Market (speaking of which, her delightful Meadowsweet2 is now available, and has yet more colourways of the Henna Garden print I love, which originated in Farmer's Market!)


The magazine was in the pile of mail (and parcels of fabrics!) waiting for me when we got home from skiing.

I blogged peeks of the quilting from the back of the quilt here.


The quilt is designed using the Garden Path block, but I took a few liberties with it in creating one of my radiating/medallion style quilts by altering the colouring of a single quilt block across the quilt. Other quilts I've made using the same design technique include Eleanor's Quilt, Evening Indulgence, Daydreams and Blueberries & Lime.


As I mentioned when I blogged the peeks, the background quilting took ages; I based it on Leah Day's Drunk Pointy Paisley.


I also quilted in the ditch around all of the coloured sections, and added some swirls and ferns to a few sections too large to leave unquilted. They look good from the back, but don't detract from the piecing on the front.


Apart from the white background, the entire quilt - including the lovely striped binding - is Farmer's Market. It's getting hard to find now, but you could always substitute some fabrics from Meadowsweet 1 and 2!



Full instructions for this quilt are in the current issue of Australian Homespun: No 87 (Vol. 11 No. 8)

16 comments:

♥Duff said...

wow! another amazing creation! thank you for sharing your process with us!

Mama Pea said...

That's a very pretty quilt! Nice job. I will have to look for that magazine! Could be a little hard to find in the States, but Barnes and Noble always surprises me.

Lauren The Artist said...

Congratulations! That quilt is absolutely beautiful.

FlourishingPalms said...

This quilt is stunning, Emma! I always think quilts with white backgrounds are prettier and more crisp-looking than others. Absolutely love yours!

Glad you're back to your machine after a much-earned and enjoyed (it looks like!) vacation. I hope life runs smoothly for you.

red in oz said...

Well done Emma, Kirsty and I were looking at this on Sunday at the MMQG meeting. Great work as always.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I love how you have placed your fabrics and the choice of fabrics too. I wish I could find that magazine here in Michigan.

MY SPACE said...

Beautiful as always Emma. Loved the article in AP+Q too!

Corrie said...

oh emma! well done, that is just gorgeous! I love quilt with white backgrounds and would definitely love to make that one

off to get me a copy tmrw

Corrie:)

Wendy said...

Beautiful!
=-)

Cathy said...

I want to make this quilt. Wish I could find the magazine in Minnesota. Not even sure where to start.

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness the quilt is beautiful!

Marcia W. said...

Your quilt is fantastic - both the patchwork and especially the quilting! Good work.

Joan said...

quilt looks wonderful...great work!!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

This is so beautiful! I love the pattern and the colours you have used. Stunning work.

Kelly said...

This is so fantastic! Great color choices! I love this quilt and I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. I realize this posting is from 2010, but is there anyway for me to get the magazine and/or pattern? I can't find it on ebay and I can't find anywhere in the USA that has this.

Thank you.