Wednesday 21 January 2009

Eleanor's Fairies

This is another quilt I finished while we were at Port Hughes; it's just taken me a while to photograph and blog it. Even yet, I need to take more of the whole thing to get the edges sharper somehow.

James told me his friend Ella from child care would like a quilt, and as her birthday is in January, I obliged. She asked for her face to be painted as a fairy at James' birthday party, so I knew I had to have this fabric.
It has been quite a task keepign James quiet about it, but I don't think he has spilled the secret - yet!
The leaves were Simon's suggestion, and although at times while I was doing them, I hated some of the messy leaves, I really do like the overall effect, and am glad I did it. Good practice, too!
He suggested the watery quilting lines I used, too, and I spent a while doodling ideas for the pink sections. My final idea was much better in theory!
I love the fabric, and am really happy with the quilt, especialyl fro having tried something different and harder with the quiting. My machine still has bouts of the bobbin thread catching, but if I'm not going too quickly, I can feel it happening before it's too late, and gently remove, untangle and replace the bobbin wihtout the thread breaking.
Here are some of the leaves I liked most.
And the whole back showing the different quilting - in different colours to match the fabric on the front.
Leaves from the back.
And a detail of the three centre quiting patterns.

6 comments:

Andi said...

My Ella would just LOVE that
Andi :-)

Gina said...

It's beautiful Emma And the quilting is great

love and hugs Gina xxx

Helen said...

This is so pretty Emma, love the leaves! Love how it was a family affair int he making, James suggesting making a quilt, DH suggesting the quilting. :)

Mom said...

Amazing! makes me want to go practice my leaves :-)

Lily Mulholland said...

Fantastic quilting Emma. Good on you for stretching yourself.

Austysmum said...

Oh WOW!! This is just GORGEOUS!!! I love the way you have set off the fairies with the strips, and that QUILTING - devine!!!!!!