After much deliberation, I called this quilt Like a Diamond. I'd thought of naming it 'In the Sky' but then realised I'd printed out the label with the first name, so that settled it!
Anyway, it feels good to have my first finish of the year, and one that's come together so nicely - and quickly! I took it outside to photograph it today, and was lucky to get all 3 quilts completed before the rain started again. It's most unseasonal weather, for which I am very grateful; I hate hot summers.
There are 18 curvy background pieces, all in different blues - mostly navy, but with a few deep purples (hopefully not too girly!) and slightly lighter blues to give it added depth.
I fused the star in place, but cut the centre out of the fusible web star, so there's only about 1cm of web around the edge. This made the star easier to quilt, but it also meant that there was no fusible web where the hole in the centre was. I left the hole on purpose, so there wouldn't be a big build-up of seams, but I didn't then want to accidentally fuse the centre of the star to the ironing board!
I quilted a variety of swirly, loopy lines radiating from the star in a bright yellow embroidery thread, and used the same on the star itself, then filled the rest of the background quickly with a small loopy meander in navy BottomLine. This worked well to disguise a few small areas where the curved background pieces didn't want to lie completely flat.