Monday 23 March 2009

Drifting

My 4SQS5 Monochromatic Challenge quilt 'Drifting' has arrived at Tami's so now I can share the whole quilt. I actually forgot to take a photo of the whole quilt after adding the crystals. Tami specified blues or greens, and spring.
My inspiration was blossoms drifting on a gentle spring breeze into a serene, secluded pond.
The blossoms are appliqued using white fabric, and quilted in pale pink to give that tinge of colour. I hadn't anticipated this 2-layered one would curve during quilting (it's 2 layers of white, joined by vliesofix and satin-stitched and closely trimmed) but I love the three-dimensional effect; much better than if it had remained flat as expected! It did take some creative packaging to get it to the US un-flattened, though!
I bought a hot-fix crystal applicator ages ago (after I received 'Believe' from Margaret), but hadn't had the perfect project for them until this.
And here's the back; just to prove the pink was indeed added through quilting and therefore within guidelines!!!
Tami has blogged it here and you can see the whole quilt with the crystals. I'm so glad you like it and that it suits your studio, Tami!
Now I'm looking forward to the next round of this swap, whatever form it may take! Thanks again, Margaret.

7 comments:

MandMStudio said...

Amazing! I totally envy her:)

Mom said...

Just Splendid!

L.E.I.A said...

That is totally gorgeous, would have to be a fav! Beautiful work.

Austysmum said...

WOW! I am speachless - that is sensational!

AJ said...

This is beautiful Emma!! I loving aqua and this just makes my sigh....in a good way!!! :) :)

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! I just hung it up on the wall in my studio ... take a look, it's like you made it especially for that wall. Thank you Emma!!!

Dresden Quilter said...

This is absolutely stunning! You are so creative. I love the aqua.