Saturday 23 May 2009

Rory's Rockets

I finished this quilt a while ago, but only recently sent it to its new owner, and then forgot to blog it after it was received. It's a single-bed quilt made on commission. Not surprisingly, it's for a little boy, and we wanted to feature the Prints Charming rockets fabric.
Because all their fabric has such a gorgeously soft feel, we decided to use only Prints Charming. Luckily they have a white-on-white stripe and good range in the right colours, including the new blue spokes. It took a while to track down all we wanted, including enough of the rockets stripes for the backing. This stuff is popular!
The request was simple, a little retro, and snuggly. So the piecing was nice and easy - apart from these curves, and even they went well - though I plan to get myself one of the curved piecing feet for my new machine (not for me, honestly!) at the Quilt Show in November.
One of my original designs had these circles in blue and white, and looking rather like BMW badges. We ended up altering the design a little, but maybe I'll do something with the blue and white circles for in the car!



To keep it snuggly, I quilted it fairly lightly; simple swirls through the snail-trail blocks to enhance the wave effect,
some stabilising in-the-ditch across a few strips and random loopy rectangles across the coordinate print
And a single line of echo-quilting around the rockets and a few of the larger stars.
Its now awaiting a first birthday. I loved working with this soft fabric, and have plenty more from Prints Charming in a range of colours and designs. I confess I spent rather longer than usual fondling this one!








10 comments:

Zonnah said...

Very cute!

Austysmum said...

Oh my I LOOOOOVE this one! Fantastic!!!

Cylie said...

As a mother of little boys who would just love everything about it, this one just rocks! What a fantastic quilt!!!

L.E.I.A said...

Thanks Emma we love it :). You are one extremely talented lady!

AJ said...

Perfect for a little boy!

I love that fabric range!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a beautiful quilt - great selection of blocks and fabrc.

Leah said...

I agree with everyone else - it's great! Well done on such a great use of that fabbo fabric.

Lily Mulholland said...

What a GREAT boys quilt! Love it. I have a wee bit of the rockets fabric that I'm hoarding!

Helen said...

I can feel how soft it is from here! Lovely! LOL at the BMW logo's!

Leni said...

well done.. great job! they look fantastic!!

www.parentshome.net