Sunday 22 March 2009

Constellation Consternation

This is my completed quilt for the Bushfire Quilt Project. All the quilts will go to people affected by the Victorian Bushfires in February 2009.
I initially sent Tia 8 star blocks and binding for 3 quilts, but this has taken a little longer, and will be in the mail tomorrow.
I wanted to make it big enough for a single bed, so used the same 12in star blocks, but in a 5x7 layout. I had planned a light background, but couldn't find a suitable fabric. The consternation comes in because I realised part way through that black and red might symbolise fire, but I think this might appeal to a teenager or a boy more than other colours, and a lot of the blocks seem to be more girl-oriented.
I did a stipple over the whole thing, which used way more thread than I'd expected - 1.5 x 500y reels! I ran out late one night, but luckily am starting my own thread-stash (latest count, almost 50 large reels) and had another the same so I could continue. It certainly gave me lots of stippling practise!
This afternoon I took it out to the bridge over our (now rather dry) creek for a photo-shoot before I mail it off with everything else tomorrow.
I hope it will provide warmth and comfort to someone.

1 comment:

scg said...

what a great quilt. I love it!