Wednesday 19 January 2011

Baby quilt with a difference


My second finish for the year didn't require much more work than the first - just half an hour of quilting and the binding!


My cousin came across the skulls fabric while she was pregnant and  loved it, so I spent a while chasing it down (it's an Alexander henry print from 2004 - I nearly typed 1994! - and pretty scarce now). Then I spent ages playing with designs - and I confess this fabric really challenged me - but ultimately it needed to be simple, because any fancy piecing would be lost the bold fabric design, so it came together pretty quickly.


It's quilted in the ditch around the border and between the blocks, then I marked and FMQed a large swirl in each block, using white thread in the blocks framed with white and black for those framed in black. The swirl design works diagonally across the block from corner to corner, which meant I could quilt it in diagonal strips.

Now here's where I say my piece. I don't actually like this quilt, and I don't really consider it suitable for a baby. But I hope it will make a new mother very happy, and that's important. I really wanted to make her and her baby a quilt, and there's no point making something the recipient won't like. And I do like a challenge!

12 comments:

Jan Maree said...

Lovely quilting! There is one thing that you can say for sure about a quilt like this - there is not likely to be another baby anywhere with one the same!

FlourishingPalms said...

That snail-trail design is one I often use in my all-over quilted quilts. It's easy to do without marking.

I'm with you... I wouldn't use such a depressing print for a baby. But, to each her own.

Лютция said...

Красота!!! :о)

Kathy Crowe said...

I love the quilt....its fantastic.....everyone has their own ideas regarding what they want in a quilt and why they want it...each to their own I say....whether you like it or not is neither here or there....beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
I think it looks great....

LittleWhiteDove said...

It's, uh, certainly unique! But you rose to the challenge wonderfully!

Peta said...

It's a very dramatic quilt with the black and white prints. A bit confronting really. You choice of quilting is perfect to offset the bold print. It wouldn't be something I would want for my baby but each to their own. If your cousin likes it, that's the main thing. It is a very good looking quilt, albeit a bit unusual .... :)

Becky said...

You did a great job on a quilt like this one :)

Anonymous said...

I really love the fabric - but not for a baby. One of my teens would be stoked to get a quilt like that.

I think you've done a great job on it !!

Dana Gaffney said...

I like the quilt, but I really can't see a wee baby wrapped in it. You did a really nice job with it.

amummy said...

I tend to agree with most of the comments about being not being really suitable for a baby quilt, but I think you have done a great job. I like the design, I think it would work great with other printed fabric. What size are the print, border and block?

Bec Clarke said...

I agree, it's not my cup of tea but then I am quite conservative most of the time.
I think you did a fantastic job, especially taking into consideration that you disliked the fabric. It looks wonderful and I am sure they will love it.

princess pudge said...

Well it's certainly a unique baby quilt! I'm not sure how I feel of the fabric, it's both creepy and fascinating at the same time.