Here's the front of the wholecloth quilt. Not surprisingly, it's practically the same as the back; just with more colour!
I love the texture created in this quilt with all the different quilting patterns, and by leaving just a few acrs deliberately unquilted.
Some of the patterns are definite fillers, while others were specifically designed for their space.
I tried to use as many patterns as possible, and I remember there are over fifty.
I did end up repeating some designs, and others I modified ever-so-slightly, such as changing the direction of the lines.
A few of the designs didn't quite go as planned, as almost designed themselves as I quilted.
A few of the blocks have segments separated by narrow (about 1/4in) strips (as in the block above) and I enjoyed coming up with different fillers for these, too.
This quilt was an amazing was to practice filler patterns! A lot of them I came up with myself, but I also used some from Leah Day's project, and others I adapted from existing designs. Oddly enough, in my doodlings earlier in the year, I'd come up with some designs almost identical to some Leah later showed, such as the coffee beans!
It was also a good test (mostly successful) of shrinking designs I'd only before stitched on a larger scale.
I'm really pleased with how the feathered corners tie the whole thing together. They were all stitched completely freehand, without any marking.
Each 'block' finished at about 7.5in square - not surprisingly, the quilting resulted in a lot of shrinkage in this small quilt!
It was challenging to photograph this quilt and get the zing of colour to really show.
So on a whim, I took a few photos using the Pop-Art setting on my camera.
While it made the orange, in particular, rather flourescent, these photos are in many ways a better representation of what the quilt actually looks like!
Just indulge me through the last few photos, trying to show as many designs as possible in a small space...
I had been concerned when I started planning this quilt that the colour wouldn't be enough, but I'm very pleased with how it come out.
I quilted "EBDQS4" into one section of the border; unless you know it's there, it blends into the rest of the quilting pattern:
I'm already planning more wholecloth quilts like this.
I do take commissions, so please contact me if you are interested.