Thursday 29 January 2009

Aglow

How appropriate that this bushfire-inspired mini quilt should arrive at its new home on a day of total fire ban across the state. Yesterday was a sweltering 45.7C, and today wasn't much better. There's no end in sight, either.
I made this quilt for Esther, my 10,000th blog visitor. I noticed a comment from her saying she liked Outback Silhouette, and since I'd enjoyed making it, I decided to make her a variation in what would appear to be her favourite colour.

It was again inspired by my experiences of the January 2003 Canberra Firestorm - though luckily from a relatively safe suburb. A friend and I used to volunteer walking dogs each week at the RSPCA which was badly damaged (though thanks to some amazing passing volunteers, few animals died), and the day after the firestorm, we went to the shelter where we spent time soothing the dogs and helping where we could. It was unbelieveable. We brought one of the dogs badly affected by the smoke home for the night, as the air was a lot clearer where we lived in comparison. he improved well and was returned the following morning. I hope Jack found a great home afterwards.

The leaves are done in the same way, this time floating, blackened from the fire, back into the heat.
The bottom one has been burned a little, too.
And I snuck in another in the quilting:

7 comments:

Gina said...

It's beautiful. I'm so jealous of her.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Louise said...

Oh how stunning! She is so lucky :)

red in oz said...

:) lucky me...

Jo said...

that is a beautiful quilt and it also brought my memories of those fires.

I love how you have used the silhouette against the reds (that, for me, are so australian).

you are definitely an inspiration

amummy said...

That is a gorgeous quilt and bought back memories for me, especially as I read your story, it brought back memories for me.

Deirdre said...

This quilt is fantastic!

Lily Mulholland said...

I think your two bushfire quilts are my favourites of yours. They are stunning Emma