Wednesday 8 April 2009

Breakfast on the Beach

Here is the finished quilt:
I couldn't decide whether the no-flash (above) or flash (below) photo was a truer representation, and since it's my blog, and I have no editor to answer to but myself, I've put in both!

Click on any of the images for more detail.
I'd started with the idea of sunset, but as I was searching for a name , I realised sunrise was a better description. Our family used to have breakfast on the beach a few times each summer, concidentally right near where DH's family sailed! It always included watching the horses being exercised (they're allowed before a certain time) and burying people in sand, but swimming depended on the water temperature. More than once it would end up being on a cold, windy day, and we'd rug-up!
Here are a few underwater details:
If you look really closely, you'll see a boat sailing in the background of the batik, but the colours worked well for the morning sky!
And some of the quilting from the back:
I hadn't planned a pieced back, but the night when I was ready to sandwich realised I didn't have anything big enough, so went through my box of leftover backing.
The sun's rays are done in a variegated King Tut sunset cotton.
And my favourite bit of quilted seaweed:
I delivered the quilt to Samantha today. At less that 4 days old, she didn't care, but her mother loves it, and big sister Zoe wanted to claim it as hers (it's very similar to her quilt Seaside ).
I really struggled over the design on this. Seaside took a while mulling ideas, but this time I just couldn't think of a more creative layout. I even tried something totally different, still with a vague beach link, but it wasn't right, and eventually I settled on the straight scene, or she'd be one before she got a quilt! I have to confess relief that BIL and SIL are planning to stick at two children in this regard!

9 comments:

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Wow! This is such a cool looking quilt. You're gonna be the best aunt ever. :-)

Mom said...

It's awesome. Love the quilting!

Fabric Fanatic said...

Really thoughtful in your placement of fabrics...and the quilting adds so much to it. I love that you managed to find a spot for Nemo too.

Leah said...

Emma, it's lovely - well done again :) Are you going to do more in this series?

Anonymous said...

Speechless! Wow. Just beautiful.

Annieofbluegables said...

That is BY FAR the most fabulous quilt I have ever seen. I am so in AWE of you!
~a

Kate North said...

Really fabulous. well done :)

Sue said...

Helen (Mini-Grey) gave me a link to your website and all I can say is WOW. Your quilts, especially this one, are STUNNING!!!!

Carla at Feathered Fibers said...

Love this quilt!!