Wednesday 10 November 2010

Festival of Quilts

Last weekend was the South Australian Guild's Festival of Quilts. I didn't enter any quilts this year, but ended up spending a day there helping out at the Express Publications stand. Express publishes Australian Patchwork and Quilting, which has had a number of my quilts in it recently, and there will be a few more in the coming months, too. I then helped pack up at the end of the day and took home two of my quilts (Andrea's Dream, which came out a week or so ago, and my spring tree, which will be out in a few weeks) in exchange for the next one (Nurture, which will be published in early 2011).

After my shift, I had a short time to do my shopping and admire the quilts. I did take some photos of the quilts for inspiration, but I'm not allowed to publish them. However, this year's exhibition was excellent and enjoyable, even though I had a nasty headache by the time I got to it. I did well with my shopping. I picked up some new tools and a nice selections of of half and quater-metre cuts...

I decided way too late I'd like a sampling of both Verna and Hunky Dory, so was pleased to find these packs...

And I've been meaning to get some Angelina sheets and fibres for a while; now I just need the book on how to use them...

A new quilting stencil (I could have done with more choice, I'd've bought more!) and general notions; more marking pens - some the same as I've used before and some new ones to try)...

My complimentary copy of the current AP&Q, plus a special thankyou book, which I'm going to love, from the editors for making the Christmas quilt so quickly for them - they took note of my love of snowflakes; aren't they just lovely?!

A selection of fabrics; I'd not come across the damask in the pewter before, and more skies are always handy...

Thsi delightful selection from Michael Miller (Antiquity), which I didn't recognise, but have since found online (it's far more spectacular in person, and delightfully glittery and fresh) and ordered in serious quantities, plus a coordinating Indian silk...

And finally these fat quarters, which I was surprised I didn't recognise, until I searched online and found that in many US stores it's still on pre-order (Fleur Nouveau from Clothworks). I'll be getting more of this one, too. It has a lovely 'spa' feel to it.
I tried to strike a balance, between buying a bit at the show and supporting it and the Australian shops, and being able to get about three-times the amount of fabric online. I think I came home with enough... but I'm loving shopping online right now (yes, even more than usual!), with the Australian dollar worth more than the US$!

2 comments:

LittleWhiteDove said...

What a haul! I especially love the Hunky Dory pack... I see a quilt for DD in the near future!

thehummingcat said...

Being that I am on a first name basis with Kate Spain, I am sure that you won't mind sending that pile of Verna over to me!!