I spent last night marking the quilting patterns I needed on this quilt. (The square 'grid' was for placement only.)
Tonight I sandwiched it, and after I'd secured the edges, I folded over the spare backing and sewed it down, to cover the excess batting and save transferring all the tiny bits of fluff from it onto the solid black, where it would be horribly obvious. Then I made myself a large (20 x 6in 'block' of masking tape and proceeded to remove the existing bits of fluff from the quilt top with it before I started quilting - otherwise they'd get sewn into place and be almost impossible to remove later.
Now the boring stuff's out the way, I've started with the hot-pink thread on those feathered circles. I'm going slowly, and they're pretty neat - they have to be with contrast thread!