It is an is an updated version of a swap quilt called Snowdance (below), which I made several years ago.
I've been asked many times about a pattern for Snowdance, and Splash! is the answer. Of course, when you use a pattern, you can change it up how you like, so you might choose to use the brighter colours of the original, or to leave it smaller by not adding the narrow flange and extra border of my new version!
But I love the extra space, which allowed me to add some extra plumes into the quilting, both inside and outside the appliqued wreath.
And the feathered quilting in the border really adds something while staying subtle and keeping the emphasis on the applique.
I enjoyed quilting these small feathers, and found it easiest to mark a perimeter line so I didn't risk quilting beyond where the binding would be sewn on and chopping off the tips of the plumes. Some are mighty close, but they're all there!
The background is McTavishing again. It's interesting to compare how differently I quilt the same style with a several more years of experience!