This evening I finished, sandwiched and quilted the baby quilt. It really didn't take long; basically because I didn't have to deal with stopping for skipped stitches or needle or thread breakages.
I feathered the sections of coins between the minkee using a beautiful variegated King Tut thread - but I must learn when to use variegated threads for feathers; it wasn't quite right here. The minkee may have been a pain to sew, but Eleanor simply loved stroking it and finding the soft parts, so I think it will be perfect for a baby.
I did consider feathering the sashing as well, but decided to take the fast option and stipple it, since it's 'just' a baby's quilt, and there's that mammoth to do list! I haven't added the binding yet, since I still have the machine set for FMQing, and am keeping it that way until the next quilt is all quilted - otherwise I might never start on it again...
...Because then I went back to the customer's quilt, and the problems all started again. I'm wondering if it's because that quilt was spray-basted, since every time I have a go on a practice sandwich, I have no problems,and that's the only difference I can think of. I did get a couple of blocks finished, and finally completed the stipple down one long border, but not without breaking another 6 or 7 needles and lots of other unplanned and unwelcome stops.