Wednesday 15 December 2010

Printing and piecing

A few weeks ago I was sick of having real troubles with my printer not feeding properly, so I bit the bullet and bought a monstrosity! It occupies a lot of desk space. The reason for its size is that I love foundation piecing, and printing out the foundations, but am sick of being restricted to A4/letter size. This new printer is capable of printing (and scannign and copying) A3 (ledger I think?) paper. Already that has been handy to scan the double-spread of the last quilt I had published in a single go. I'm now lookng for A3/ledger size foundation sheets, but haven't had any luck so far. I love Carol Doaks foundations, so am looking for something along those lines (easy to print on and to tear out). For now, I have ordered three different A3 lightweight art pads, and will test them out, but would love to hear if anyone knows of larger foundatuion papers....

(sorry about the mess - the whole room could do with a good sort out if the current rush is ever over)

Today instead of binding the quilt I should have, I printed out at last the foundations for my next quilt (oh, the bliss of not having to lean over the desk and feed the pages in one-by one, which is horrible on my back!). Tonight I pieced 72 of these foundations - there are still 3 pieces to add to each (that's 216 seams for the evening, and asmany more left!). These will then go together in fours to form 18 blocks. Then I have another 72 QST foundations (only 5 fabrics on each of those!) to make the other 18 blocks for the quilt...


The colours look a bit dull here; they're actually a bit brighter, but the request for this quilt was warm, earthy tones, and I think I will meet that when the two blocks are combined.

2 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

I'll be watching to see more 'warm earthy tones', which are MY favorite also.

Have fun with your new toys.

Regarding paper? I've seen some odd-ball sizes of kids drawing paper, which is lightweight and cheap, but I don't know what the sizes are as a standard. I just know I have to trim what I have to put it through my standard-size printer

Joan said...

Look forward to seeing more of the quilt - great looking printer!