Monday 18 May 2009

Design dilemma

Months ago I promised the director of James and Eleanor's child care centre that I'd make a quilt for them to raffle by the end of the year. I've finally worked through my quilting to do list enough to at leats start designing. I decided to make two; one to appeal more to girls, and one to appeal more to boys; which should hopefully result in more ticket sales. The winner will get to choose which they want. To target them at the main age group, instead of cot-size, I'm making them a large play size; big enough to be used as a bed topper if wanted, but more suited to snuggles on the sofa.

I've come up with something I'm fairly happy with for the girl's quilt, but wanted to open it up for comments and suggestions before I start. The finished size is 56" square. The fabrics are representational only, as is the applique ribbon border with the odd-looking corners! The blocks are 8", but in the first option I've experimented with extending the corner palm blocks into the first (white) border. I designed the two heart blocks myself.

Click on any image for a closer look.

Option 1:
This is exactly the same quilt, but showing lines around all the patches.


Option 2 (the differences are the palm blocks are the same size as the others, the pale purple heart centres have been changed to pink and the green centre star has been changed to white):

I've edited to add this option, suggested by the insightful Margaret. I think ths is what I'll do, it's given it whaterver it was that it was missing.
Option 3:

What do you think? I prefer the 3, though I'm not sure about the larger palm blocks. Feel free to make suggestions. Do the mini stars work? Or maybe I should start again?

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I think I like the first one but with the smaller palms. All of them are great however.

Mom said...

I like the first one, but might consider using both pink and purple hearts together.

Dresden Quilter said...

I like the third one, but I do like the smaller palms.

Austysmum said...

Option 3 gets my vote

AJ said...

I like the first one!