Thursday 25 February 2010

DQS8 - Snow Dance

My DQS8 quilt is finished, apart from the label, and will be ready to send, along with a couple of other quilts on Monday. I added the binding after taking these photos.
I was really stumped for what to make for my recipient this time. I had several ideas, but they all seemed too similar to some of my other quilts, and despite knowing my recipient would love them, I wanted to make something original for her.
Finally, and rapidly running out of time, I drew some of these teardrop shapes in EQ and played with the wreathmaker function for this. Luckily one of the peeks has elicited a positive comment from a certain someone a long way away, so I know I'm on the right track!
I used Kellie's applique technique to sew the shapes on after sandwiching the quilt, as it gives the back much better definition, and I do like a nice quilt back! I chose embroidery threads for the applique, partly because they were the best colour matches. But these threads don't always FMQ well, and I ended up doing lots of the applique with the walking foot. I can't imagine how many times I rotated the quilt under the needle - lucky it's small!
Then it was just a matter of Emming the background in white bottomline. This is probably the best Emming I've done yet. I examined Leah's McTavishing closely to see why I liked hers so much, and realised I needed to make some of my wavy lines a little curvier and more S-shaped. I think it worked!
Have I overdone the photos yet? (Bear in mind, I haven't even photographed it with the binding yet!)
As you can see, I made most of this quilt with the Winter Olympics on behind the sewing machine, and this was the inspiration for the quilt's name. I tried anagrams of "Winter Olympics", but while I loved "Icily Snow", the remaining letters weren't much use!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

That is an AWESOME quilt! So beautiful.

AllieKatMom said...

Beautiful!

Michele said...

Gorgeous! It's so simple yet the details are amazing.

WandaQuilts said...

It grabbed my attention! I love it! Your background fill is very nice, I like the 'swirlyness' you added to regular 'mctavishing'.

Vicki W said...

It's lovely!

3anklebiters said...

beautiful!

What Comes Next? said...

Its gorgeous Emma! I can't imagine sewing all those teardrops on with your walking foot - looks fabulous!

FlourishingPalms said...

Very well done! Beautiful colors on a beautifully quilted background. Your quilter-friend will love it.

Mandy Noble said...

So so beautiful, wish it was me it was being sent to! I am definitely taking part in the next DQS!!

Annieofbluegables said...

Yes it is! And I'm with Mandy, I wish I were the recipient.
I love the snow falling in your blog. How do you do that?
You know, Emma, you are an amazing inspiration.
*sigh*
~a

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It's beautiful, the more pictures the better.

Béa said...

Really wonderful, your quilting is fantastic !I will be happy to be your partner !!!

Anonymous said...

I can not even remember how I got to your blog, but I am glad that I did! What an amazing creation! Love it!

http://quiltsbagsgardens.blogspot.com/ said...

Oh my......you are indeed an artist. I am linking your blog, and etsy shop to my blog.

kathy


http://quiltsbagsgardens.blogspot.com/

Suzanne said...

I have just stumbled onto your blog by 'accident' and am so glad that I did. You work is fantastic! And you’re a fellow Aussie too!