Thursday 16 September 2010

Elephant flannel

Last night I finally cut into the gorgeous elephant flannel Valori sent me. It took me a while, because first I had to meet a couple of deadlines, then I got sick, and then I couldn't come up with a design which suitably showcased the fabric.


Last night I made 13 of these blocks - finished size 6in. The rows of elephants are such that a 2.5 x 4.5 rectangle perfectly fits 2 elephants plus the 1/4in seam allowance. Unfortunately this did mean I had to slice parts of evey 3rd elephant.

This block is made by starting wtith a part seam to join the first rectangle to the centre square.


Then it's just a case of adding the second, third and fourth rectangles one at a time.

And the final step is to complete the initial part-seam.


To the 13 of these, I will add 8 plain blocks (fabric yet to be determined; I wanted to use more of Valori's matching prints, but they compete too much with the elephants, so tomorrow I'll look for some paler, subtler options) and four quarter-square-triangle blocks (above), which I also pieced last night.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Great job using the elephant fabric. They look great in the block you chose.