I traced the birds onto the Lite Steam-a-seam 2 this evening, fused them to some fine black fabric (Emma-Louise, of course!) and cut them out.
But when I first placed them on the circles, they looked harsh and out of place.
They've grown on me a bit now, and after playing with some different binding options, I've decided to use them. Yes, the one above needs legs (as does the one below). I'll stitch them while I'm appliqueing the birds. I'll use raw-edge FMQ straight-stitch applique, the pieces are too fine and detailed for anything else; I hope it works well. I've already removed the quilting along the seams on the three circles.
I'll use a binding with black in it, so the black birds don't look so heavy and out of place.