Sunday 20 November 2011

Filling around the feathers

Ooops! I realise now that I should have designed the feathers to fill the whole space between the feathered borders. Initially I only intended them to be two corder units, but they grew more than I'm anticipated, and now fill the two sides. I am NOT going to unpick them, so the question is - what do I do in the spaces around them? Whatever I do, it'll be in matching cream BottomLine thread, so it's nto too obvious, and I'll start by echoing the feathers to help emphasise them. So... McTavishing, a small stipple, more of what I did around the tree, repeated echoing???




As an aside, I did the piano key border today, using a ruler. I don't know if there's a trick I'm missing to using rulers to quilt on a domestic sewing machine - certainly a thicker ruler would have helped, but I only had my rotary cutting rulers to hand. I put a strip of double-sided tape on the back of mine, to help keep it in position. I only had to replace it about 5 times as I worked my way around the quilt, and it was definitely worth it. I was tickled-pink that when I got back to my starting point, the line spacing was perfect - no fudging required!


Here's a closer look at the quilting around the tree. I didn't want to McTavish it, as I've done previously on my tree quilts, and have been doodling with combining echoed feathers, paisleys and swirls, and just love this pattern; I'll definitely be using it again. This was the first bit I did; the later parts are neater, and I'll show them properly later. It has the same lovely movement as McTavishing, but is a bit more fun - and I find it easier to quilt, because it's easier to decide where to go next.

3 comments:

Mom said...

The fills look nice. As for the feathers, I'd outline around he feather edge to help it to puff, and then any kind of dense microfill will work - things that come to mind include just an echo filler or pebbling or tiny micro stippling. If it were me (and my choices are not everyone's, I'd echo fill it).

M-R Charbonneau said...

Wow, your quilting is beautiful, Emma. I like Margaret's suggestion.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)