Sunday 1 June 2014

More crockery and feathers

Today I started quilting the feathered wreaths in the open blocks of this quilt. Once again, I dug through my crockery cupboards for plates the right size - one to just fit inside the central grey square and one to fit just inside the outer white square. then it was just a case of centring the plates, drawing around them with the air-erasable marker, and quilting.


I start by quilting along the inside circle, then quilt the feathers out from that, just touching the outer circle. When I get maybe 5 or 6 feathers from the beginning, I roughly draw in just the outer bumps of the last few feathers, going back from the start point towards where I'm up to. This allows me to judge whether I need to fractionally stretch or squash these few feathers so they meet nicely, without the last one being an ugly huge or tiny one. I'll try and remember to take some photos of that stage tomorrow, as there are plenty more wreaths to go.

Later I'll go back and add some fill around the fleur de lis. I'll use a fine grey BottomLine thread, but haven't decided just how I'll do it yet.

No comments: