Wednesday 4 March 2009

4SQS5 Monochromatic Challenge

An unexpected parcel arrived at our door this morning. It didn't take me long to notice it was from the UK, and as I was hoping it was from Kate, I spotted her last name on the package! Ha ha! The 4SQS5 quilt I had been coveting. And James seemed pretty impressed, too!
I thought I knew what I was getting, but quilts can be deceptive to photograph, and there were wonderful surprises in store. It's hard to capture sparkle, and the background fabric is gorgeously shimmery.
Plus some of the trees are beaded, and there are seed beads scattered in the background.
And of course there's Kate's creative quilting, I love the swirls and am going to have to practise some myself. If you look closely at the photo below, you can seee some of the tiny beads.
Kate also included some matching blue beads, embellishments and fabrics which I love. She mentioned that the quilt is not very Australian, and I agree, but it's what I wanted. I see Australia every day, and snow not as often as I'd like. Now I can imagine myself picking a nice line through the trees on my skis (which, being Rossignol Sapphires, would match the quilt perfectly!)
Thank you, Kate! This is my third big international swap, and my third fantastic quilt!
Now I'd better get on and finish mine, which has been sitting half-quilted for about a month!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that quilt from Kate is absolutely stunning. All the detail that has gone into it. Wow. Love it.

Mom said...

I too wish I was swishing my skiis down the snowy slopes :-)

Gina said...

Great quilt

Love and hugs Gina xxx

AJ said...

Cool Emma Literally!!! LOL I really like this one!

Helen said...

Wow oh wow oh WOW! Love it Emma! Lucky you.

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh wow Emma - this one is absolutely GORGEOUS. No wonder you were so pleased!

Kate North said...

So glad you like it :) I kinda thought you would from the comments you left on my blog. It was really hard to photograph - I didn't manage to show the sparkle in the "sky" fabric at all and only got the beads by use of a very odd angle. Anyway, glad it's safely there and happy in its new home!