Sunday 30 January 2011

Perils of a titanium needle

I broke a needle while quilting my current quilt, and decided it was time to try one of the Superior titanium topstitch needles I bought a while ago, that are supposed to be really strong and last much longer. I'd only stitched 2.5 inches, when bang!


This was the result! So ok, it didn't break - but it's equally useless!


Unfortunately the real problem is that when it bent, it also broke my free-motion quilting foot:


I'm waiting for the superglue to dry so I can try it again - but I'm loath to use the titanium needles again; I'd rather break several packets of regular needles than a presser-foot! I'll be wasting time (and having to go out against my wishes in the hideous 42C (108F) heat) tomorrow in the hope of getting a new free-motion foot.


Have other people tried these needles? Have you bent or broken one? What would you do if you were me? (I should note, I have some ongoing problems with my machine, and seem to break needles far too often while FMQing, but neither I nor the servicer can identify the cause.)

6 comments:

thehummingcat said...

I think you should go to Bunnings, buy some wood, build a bridge and then give the titanium needles another go!!

Joanne said...

I have never seen a needle bend like that!! And to break your presser foot - how annoying! Good luck finding a solution.♥

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I would be removing the quilt from the machine, and then after replacing the needle, stitch on some scraps to see why the needles bent in the first place. Something might need to be adjusted. The bobbin or spool might be nknotted or stuck from spinning. I have had those problems before.

Joan said...

I did break a needle today - but I bumped into my Infe Line Ruler - so had no excuse. I have never tried those needles you have...but I too like the Sharps of 70's

Susan Torrens said...

I've been using the titanium needles for a while, and haven't bent or broken one. Maybe it wasn't installed tightly.... Sorry about your presser foot! I've broken and bent regular needles all the time. I get stitching so fast when doing free motion....

Austysmum said...

My gosh! What did it hit? I have only ever snapped a needle when I accidentally leave a pin in or it the threads get all tangled underneath and pull the needle. Mind you, I don't do nearly the amount of quilting you do!