Monday, 4 February 2013

Lace making

My lace quilting is progressing nicely.

Both the one above and the one below (the two biggest) I showed yesterday in the early stages; here they are filled in more, but still need extra quilting, especially white.

I just keep adding a bit more here and a bit more there until each doily is filled and balanced, working with one thread for a while, then swapping. I did a lot of thread changes - and that meant lots of bobbin changes, too.

I like to have several on the go at once, to reduce the thread chages a bit, and get a good balance, but the marks have been fading so quickly, I can't rely on them for more than about half an hour - so once I start, there's no interrupting me!

After finding the 30wt cotton white wasn't quite heavy enough, I ended up doing the rest of the white in Glide, going over most of the lines twice, and a few three times. Adding in the heavy, shimmery white Razzle Dazzle with bobbinwork also helped boost the whiteness. It really stands out (which means my little oopsie below is visible - but in the scheme of things not worth redoing).

I chose to quilt the one above with only cranberry and white (and silver), and I'll leave another of the smaller ones with just aqua, silver and white, for something different.


Vicki W said...

I think this was a great idea and it's looking awesome!

LynCC said...

These are really neat - very fun!

Marls said...

Looks great. You skill is amazing. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Issabella The Cat said...

I came over from flickr to say these are beautiful! your work is very inspiring :D