Monday 4 February 2013

Lace making

My lace quilting is progressing nicely.


Both the one above and the one below (the two biggest) I showed yesterday in the early stages; here they are filled in more, but still need extra quilting, especially white.


I just keep adding a bit more here and a bit more there until each doily is filled and balanced, working with one thread for a while, then swapping. I did a lot of thread changes - and that meant lots of bobbin changes, too.


I like to have several on the go at once, to reduce the thread chages a bit, and get a good balance, but the marks have been fading so quickly, I can't rely on them for more than about half an hour - so once I start, there's no interrupting me!


After finding the 30wt cotton white wasn't quite heavy enough, I ended up doing the rest of the white in Glide, going over most of the lines twice, and a few three times. Adding in the heavy, shimmery white Razzle Dazzle with bobbinwork also helped boost the whiteness. It really stands out (which means my little oopsie below is visible - but in the scheme of things not worth redoing).


I chose to quilt the one above with only cranberry and white (and silver), and I'll leave another of the smaller ones with just aqua, silver and white, for something different.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think this was a great idea and it's looking awesome!

Lynette said...

These are really neat - very fun!

Marlene said...

Looks great. You skill is amazing. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Sarah said...

I came over from flickr to say these are beautiful! your work is very inspiring :D