Monday, 4 February 2013

Laciness

I've finished free-motion quilting the doilies on my DQS13 quilt.


I ended up adding quite a bit more white to each one, to add to their laciness.


Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to photograph (or even edit) the colours accurately; the aqua threads are greener than they appear, and the reds are softer and more cranberry  than the look here - but I can't fix them without also sending the linen background to some dreadful, unnatural shade! And of course the sparkle in the heavy white, silver and one of the aquas doesn't show to full effect under flash.


Above is the one I deliberately left without cranberry. It's just a smidgen over 3in in diameter.


This one (above and below) occupies the largest space, and has I think 39 'rows', and quite a number of those rows were double or triple stitched to achieve the effect or pattern I wanted.


I'm not exactly sure, but the lace doilies have a total in the vicinity of 45,000 stitches. The quilt will finish at a fraction under 20in square once trimmed and bound.

8 comments:

Frances Arnold said...

This is gorgeous!!! I once thread painted and quilted a doily to sit under a flower vase...

http://francesquilts.blogspot.com/2010/02/terra-cotta-flowers.html

FlourishingPalms said...

Your workmanship, and time spent on this, is quite remarkable, Emma. What a clever and creative design you've developed. I hope the recipient understand just what she's getting - something fabulous! You are generous to give away such loveliness.

QuiltieComments said...

Gorgeous, what a brilliant idea and so beautifully executed!!

Can't Stop Stitchin said...

Just beautiful! Lovely use of thread colors ~

QuiltingCyclist said...

Emma, True beauty! You have done something amazing once again. Thank you for sharing your process.

Joan said...

This is Stunning Emma

mckittycat said...

Stunning! Mary Ann

Cre-art Tünde said...

So beautiful!