Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Tour de Fibre - Fabric painting

We had some partially sunny days last week, so James got a turn at trying fabric painting one afternoon. After his first piece (which was remarkable similar in colour to Eleanor's a few weeks ago) he mentioned he could have painted the Australian flag. So I put more colours into his ice-cube-tray-palette, very lightly marked rough star outlines in position, and dots to connect for the red part of the Union Jack.

He started by painting the red cross, then the star outlines, then filled the background. Unfortunately the paint seeped far more than I'd expected, ond only two of the stars remained with any white left, so We'll see about stencilling them later!

While he was doing that. I painted a few smaller pieces in outback desert/sky scenes for a planned project. They looked brilliant when wet (above) but dried significantly softer colours (below). I"m considering overpainting to see if that leaves more vivid results.

Above, clockwise from top left: Wattle colours by Eleanor to cut up and go with the outback scenes, James' first piece, My 3 outback scenes, Piece I did to use up remaining paints (my favourite!), Semi-successful Australian flag (which, when amended, will feature on the back of the quilt using the outback scenes). Larger pieces are roughly metric fat quarters.


Hanne said...

Cool fabric painting :-)

Annik-Snor said...

I love to see the way you work