Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Tour de Fibre - water completed

This afternoon whileJames and Eleanor had a much-needed nap, I finished selecting the fabrics for the remaining water foundations, and after they went to bed I pieced them and joined them together. The water section is all done now; below is half of it; a section about 24in wide (the photo of the other side wasn't sharp, so I'll take another and show it another time).

I then spent about an hour neatly folding and sorting all the reef and water prints, and putting them away, so there was space to spread out the sand fabrics. These are harder to find, so there aren't so many, but I've managed to add a few new ones since my last beach quilt, and the extra selection is making my job easier. Several aren't actually sand prints, but have the right colour and texture to work well.

I started by positioning the footprints walking along the shoreline on one of the wider foundations. The photo above shows the first piece cut and pinned in position, and the next piece carefully positioned (visible through the foundation) and ready to cut.

Here you can see the first foundation filled (on the left), with the pieces pinned in position, and the fabrics roughly positioned and selected for the next foundation (almost completely hidden on the right). As I cut them out, I made a small variation to my plan, and swapped the centre piece for one with a few deck chairs.

I always choose all the fabrics before I start sewing, so I can look at them all together and assess whether the colours and designs flow across the foundations.


Houseelf said...

Thank you for sharing how you work. It was very interesting. Makower had a lovely beach range a while back. I made beach huts for the sand. :-)

SNOR said...

The way you have done the water is very nice I am looking forward to see the rest.

Pam said...

Wow, this is going to be such a stunning quilt. Looking forward to seeing more

LittleWhiteDove said...

Looking great Emma!