Monday 2 March 2009

AQC Surprise

Simon organised a family weekend in Melbourne as my Christmas present. I didn't realise until 2 days before we went that it was the weekend of the Australasian Quilt Convention! I managed an afternoon there to admire the quilts and do a little shopping - it would have been even better to have been able to join some of the classes, maybe another year.

I'd only been there a short while when someone asked if I was Emma? When I said "Yes!" she said, "I read your blog." I was flabergasted! It tuns out it was Sandi! We had a lovely chat before I had to continue on my rounds to see everything in a short amount of time.

I spent a while at the Pfaff stall and chose my new machine; a Quilt Expression 4.0. Then I came across Helen Godden demonstrating the fab-u-motion, which I've added to my shopping list after a chat with her! It helps glide the quilt around for FMQing, and it seems it's also available with a stitch-regulator, which I'll investigate at my local dealer later this week when I collect my mahcine from its service (I thought being away for a few days was a good time for an overdue service!).

I forgot to take photos at first, but here is a selection of quilts which inspired and delighted:

Detail of gorgeous quilting and fabric painting (I'd love to take an Esther Aliu stencilling class sometime)



A detail (above) of the quilt below, 2 double-page spreads of a fairy-tale book, stunning in it's intraicate detail.


Well, it's frogs....

Loved the colours in this next one, apart from anything else!

Detail of fireworks (rotated by blogger), I want to come up with my own way to use this idea:

Great use of autumnal prints:

3 comments:

Becky said...

I could not be there, but this is the next best thing. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love that spiral one! As Becky said, thanks for sharing the photos

Lily Mulholland said...

Some absolute stunners there. THe first one is extraordinary.